06 December 2008

Zyprexa

It's a tiny, 2.5 mg pill. It makes eating - and life - a little bit easier.

I was very reluctant to take a medication to treat my anorexia. I wanted to do it on my own. But as weeks turned into months, and I continued to struggle with both eating and gaining weight, I agreed to try medicine.

First I took Periactin, which made me feel drugged and out of it. Not good for someone who writes for a living and must be able to quickly put together sentences and whole paragraphs.

Then my doctor suggested Zyprexa - an antipsychotic. I balked. I remembered my social work days, of working with clients who took Haldol or other antipsychotics, and the terrible side effects - twitching movements called tardive dyskensia was one prominant side effect.

But as my weight started to drop into the 90s again, I decided to give it a try. It didn't change my personality - I'm still just as moody, weird and quirky as ever - nor did it give me a raging appetite, which was my biggest fear.

It just has made it easier to sleep, easier to get up and easier to swallow the food.

Lesson? Trust my doctor. Maybe he does know best.

No comments: